This guide is about the most common ICT-related network issues and questions at JAMK, enabling new network user get a better picture of the opportunities available.
- Network username and password
- Home directory
- Personal www-pages
- Most common network services
- Remote work
- Where can i get help?
1. Network username and password
Each new user receives a personal username (network account), email address and disk space for their own files. Upon receiving your username, you also agree to comply with usage rules.
JAMK Network usage rules (pdf, in Finnish)
All computers at JAMK campus area require login with personal network account.
- For students, username is the same as student number, which can be found from Vetuma-service (requires Finnish online bank account)
- Staff members receive their user account from manager, from ICT Helpdesk or from Vetuma-service (requires Finnish online bank account)
It is possible to change password using several different methods (for example using workstation, visiting helpdesk, using Vetuma-service). Detailed information can be found from here.
Guide to Vetuma-service (https://vetuma.jamk.fi)
Vetuma password self service portal is a system that is available if you have a Finnish online bank account (Osuuspankki, Nordea, Danske Bank, Handelsbank, S-Pankki, Säästöpankki). After you log in to system using your personal online bank ID, you can see your JAMK username(s) and to set password. User may have several accounts to JAMK. Please make sure that you are changing password to the correct account. Vetuma-instructions can be found from here (option 3) ja service itself at https://vetuma.jamk.fi
Note to foreign students ! If you do not have required Finnish online bank ID, please contact student services to receive your account and/or to change it’s password.
- at least 8 characters
- difficult to guess
- password may contain letters between A-Z (no umlauts) and numbers
- passwords are case sensitive, ie “password-100” is different from “Password-100”
Staff accounts are valid according to job contract. After contract ends, username is locked and will we deleted after a safety period.
Student accounts are valid as long as studies continue, after which accounts are locked and will we deleted after a safety period. If student is not reported as “not available”, it is possible that account is locked until he/she is active again.
Username often contains also an mailbox. It has the same username and password as your network account.
Staff uses local Exchange system (until 09/2016) ja students use MS Office 365 service. These systems are linked together. Mailbox can be accessed on JAMK’s workstations using Outlook client or with Internet browser using Outlook Web App at http://webaccess.jamk.fi.
Administration is allowed to lock accounts that are detected to be used against JAMK Network rules. It is not allowed to send spam and/or to advertise personal occations etc.
System scans all emails for viruses and guarantines mails and informs users if something suspicious is found.
Email addresses are:
- Staff: email@example.com eg. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Students: email@example.com
3. Home directory
All users have personal home directory that is presented as “H-drive” on all Windows computers at JAMK. Home directory is a place for users to store their own files. It is not supported to store files at local computers and often it is not even permitted. ICT administration is not responsible for any lost files stored locally to client computers. Home directory is accessible only to the users themself. Backups are created daily to recover from failures and to recover lost files.
There is also a possibility to use Office365’s OneDrive feature to save files and access them anywhere. That service is not maintained by JAMK ICT Services though, and therefore we can not guarantee it’s availability. Lost files in Onedrive are also not recoverable.
4. Personal www-pages
If you want to publish personal www-pages, there are few options for you to choose from.
Each student has some credits automatically added to accounts and it is possible to purchase more later if needed. Staff accounts has no printing limits.
6. Most common network services
- MS Office 365
- Email and collaboration system for students and after 09/2016 also for staff
- O365 contains also several other tools to help studying and working
- Study information system. You can follow your studies at Asio and to participate courses and create your personal study plan etc.
- Elmo (http://elmo.jamk.fi)
- The most important internal information channel in JAMK. contains electronic desktop, intranet service, working spaces and links to all other systems.
- Online learning system in JAMK
7. Remote work
Our ICT-systems are isolated from the public Internet with a firewall that monitors traffic and filters malicious packets etc. We do allow remote working from outside local network.
Detailed Guide about remote working in JAMK
8. Where can I get help?
If problems occur, you can submit a support ticket to ICT Helpdesk (link in front page of this site). Helpdesk.jamk.fi is a site collection that contains instructions, tips and links for JAMK’s information systems. In addition, ICT Services publishes daily information about any network issues detected at the frontpage.