JAMK’s O365-system support for old and in many ways insecure pop3 -ja imap4 -email protocols end 1.5.2018.
Basically all modern devices and their email clients support better methods (for example Activesync). If you do not know you have been using these old methods, you don’t have to do anything.
Background for this change:
- There are not many users using these protocols.
- These protocols do not support Multifactor Authentication (MFA).
- If you allow the original POP3 and IMAP (the non-SSL versions of POP & IMAP) you are sending usernames and passwords in the clear, which is not secure.
- POP and IMAP support the use of email proxying websites which violate our Usage Policy by allowing users to set up and ‘cache’ their credentials at these web sites and use these sites from their personal email accounts to retrieve their email. These websites are usually providing a convenience by allowing you to view all of your email from multiple accounts in one place. However, you are providing your JAMK username and password to an untrusted third party.
- These protocols offer no way to inform user about expiring password.