Strong authentication (MFA) allows safer login to services, as it makes it possible to prevent access to O365 account even if the ID/password is compromised. In addition to regular username and password, a separate confirmation is required using mobile app. Alternative ways are a one-time code, a text message, or a phone call. More details about why MFA is necessary can be found here.
Note! After January 17, 2022, strong identification is mandatory in JAMK’s O365 services for students and staff.
Follow the instructions on this page to enable MFA for your account.
Things to notice
After enabling MFA, some old, incompatible applications may not work. Such can be for example some phone manufacturers own customized email applications.
JAMK’s ICT services recommends following supported and tested applications:
- Windows: Office 2016 or newer, Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise (formerly known as Office 365 proplus)
- Android: Microsoft Outlook
- MacOS: Apple Mail 12 or newer, Office 2016 or newer, Microsoft 365 for Mac
- iOS: Microsoft Outlook
General introduction to enabling MFA
- Enabling MFA only takes few minutes.
- In addition to the desktop computer, you will need a mobile device to which you want to send MFA confirmation messages.
- After starting the process, you will have few minutes to complete it. If this is not done quickly enough, the deployment may fail and the process will need to start over.
Instructions for implementing MFA:
You can enable MFA either by using only mobile phone or by using a combination of mobile phone and computer. For instructions on both different methods below, select the one you want